[Pharo-project] Keyboard navigation and Settings browser

Alain Plantec alain.plantec at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 22:23:51 CET 2012

Le 03/01/2012 21:00, Sean P. DeNigris a écrit :
> A few observations inspired by using the Settings browser:
>
>    * Is there a way to exclude a submorph from tabbing? In the settings
> browser, if you keep tabbing, you eventually focus on the statusView, which
> is a text editor, and you start inserting tabs into the text instead of
> continuing to navigate
in 1.4, the keyboard focus is token by the tree, so that you can
directly navigate with the keyboard inside the tree.
This is explicitely programmed by sending #takeKeyboardFocus to the tree
morph but after the window is opened.
(see SettingBrowser>>open)
It can be easily changed to make the search field take the focus on open
if it is the desired behavior.
but I don't know if there is a way to declare the focus owner before
opening the window.

>    * a disabled text editor should pass keyboard focus on tab instead of
> doing nothing (the current behavior)
yes it should

>    * how do you say which is the default widget? just set the keyboard focus
> manually? This would be hard using the Polymorph workflow as in the
> examples/Pharocasts/etc. because:
>      - you'd have to store a reference to the morph instance, so you can set
> the focus after the window has been opened (will not work otherwise).
>      - tools like the Settings browser build the UI in an instance method, so
> now a morph would have to be stored in the model - yuck
>      Dialog window has #defaultFocusMorph. Maybe this should be added to
> SystemWindow?
I agree

>    * EditableDropListMorphs should pass keyboard focus to their contentMorph.
> Right now it takes two tabs to activate. The first one just highlights the
> EditableDropListMorph, but does not let you type into it
yes

Cheers
Alain