[Pharo-project] Pharo by Example

Gerry Weaver gerryw at compvia.com
Thu Jan 5 06:50:58 CET 2012

Hi,

Perhaps I should just take a shot at explaining what I'm having trouble understanding.

My current take on the environment is that an image is basically a container that holds everything in the application. In development mode it also includes the IDE and tools. I assume one would typically start by defining a class that was a subclass of some system or package class. I assume this process would continue until the application logic and data were defined. I also assume that there must be a way to indicate the class that represents the top level or entry point (main) of the application. That appears to be the init method. Is this anywhere close to being correct?

The problem is that I'm not sure how to get started. I have played around with the system browser a bit. I can see that you would create a category and be presented with what looks to be a template for a class. I'm confused about the fact that the "Pharo by Example" has me creating a package when I don't see that in the 1.3 browser. I also don't know how to create additional classes in that category or how to tell the environment which class is my application entry point. I figure maybe the answer to all of this is a little too much for a mailing list question, which is why I didn't start out asking this. Anyway, at least this gives you an idea of where I'm stuck. Maybe my brain just isn't wired to understand something that may be obvious to others.

Thanks,
Gerry