[Pharo-project] Pharo by Example

Max Leske maxleske at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 08:55:26 CET 2012

Hi Gerry

From your talk of application entry points it seems to me that you might be talking about web development with Pharo. In that case PharoByExample won't help you much.
Maybe, if you could tell us what you are trying to accomplish, we would be able to help you better. Right now, at least to me, it is not clear why you are having troubles. I've learnt Smalltalk with PBE and Pharo and found everything to be fairly straight forward and clearly explained.

As for the #init method, the only one I can find belongs to the ParseStack object. That is definitely not what you want. What might be confusing you is that you don't "execute" a binary like you would in other cases. Pharo is not only an IDE but it is also the runtime environment.

It just occurred to me, that you might be looking for something like: "if i double click on the image I want my application X to be launched in the image". That can certainly be done but is not the usual way. More often, you will save the image with the "start UI" of your application opened, so that when a user opens the image he will see one window with your application.

You also might want to check out the Pharo Screencasts (http://www.pharo-project.org/documentation/screencasts), you might see something there that helps you to better understand Pharo. However, from what I have experienced I suggest that you just work through PBE and see if your questions persist.

Cheers,
Max