[Pharo-project] Pharo by Example

Gerry Weaver gerryw at compvia.com
Thu Jan 5 09:26:05 CET 2012

Hi Max,

Okay thanks. I think I get the startup scenario now.

I come from the other end of the world in terms of software development (kernel, C, command line, etc.). I guess the part that's giving me a hard time is really the IDE workflow. I want to start writing code, but I feel kind of like I'm trying to build a ship in a bottle. What I would expect is that I would create some kind of project spec and add my code to that, but instead I'm finding this rather strange path. I assume that it's all about defining classes, but I'm having trouble figuring out where and how to do that. For example, is an application a category or is it just a way to group like functionality? Collections look like they are a tool for organizing code? Anyway, I'm going to keep plugging away at it. I kind of hoping maybe Visualworks will fill in some of the blanks.

I recently left my job as a full time developer. There are several projects that I've been thinking about over the last few years. Since I am now a force of one, I'm looking for a higher level (hopefully more productive) language to code in.  One of the things that attracted me to Smalltalk was the concept of the image and something called "Opentalk". Most of the applications I have in mind would be distributed in nature. However, a web interface wouldn't be completely out of the question. The FFI is also something that will be critical for me. I have quite a bit of C code that I will want to make use of.

I have watched several of the screencasts, but they seem to leave out the part that I am having trouble with. I am still actively searching though.

Thanks,
Gerry