[Pharo-project] localization

Milan Mimica milan.mimica at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 12:03:08 CET 2012

Hello!

I notice many of you are not native English speakers so you must have asked
yourself this question before: what are the possibilities of localization
in Pharo? I'm mostly interested in date and time localization. I notice
there is a class named ChronologyConstants, and sure I can modify it, but
how do I do it in a nice way, so that the alterations are saved in my own
MC package?

Moreover, this class alone is not enough. For example, in Croatian, January
is not written or pronounced the same when used in a date or used in a
enumeration. The English equivalent of today's date would be "6th of
January" - notice the "of".

There is even less subtle weaknesses: you don't get to choose default date
and time format.

Hm, looking at ChronologyConstants again, it seem its purpose never was
localization, it is merely a shared pool for constants.

Do you have any plans for localization? I haven't seen it mentioned. This
is a must have in an enterprise-friendly software, you must agree.

--
Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net