[Pharo-project] Misc. newbie questions

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 15:14:37 CET 2012

2012/1/6 Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com>:
> On 6 January 2012 11:20, Peter Hugosson-Miller <oldmanlink at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6 jan 2012, at 06:41, "Gerry Weaver" <gerryw at compvia.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2. There appear to be some tool choices in the Pharo image. I would like to
>> be able to create a class and it's methods in an editor in one go. I like
>> being able to see all of the class code at once. Is there a way to do this?
>>  I just want to be able to type it all in and accept (evaluate?) all at
>> once.
>>
>> This is an interesting question to me personally. After 15 years of working
>> exclusively in Smalltalk I've recently been forced to start programming in
>> Java, where the source code is always (as far as I know) arranged in the way
>> you describe.
>>
>> This organization just emphasizes the dead and compiled nature of Java (and
>> similar languages), compared to the living objects of Smalltalk, where even
>> methods are objects, created by sending messages to other objects. Source
>> code is relegated to being a mere artifact, which can be saved and organized
>> in any way one wishes, and preferably never shows its ugly face to the coder
>> :-p
>
> Which of course is no argument why Smalltalk code could not be
> displayed in a more programmer friendly way as a continuous block of
> text. There is no technical reason why source ranges in text box
> couldn't correspond to life method objects. Compared to other
> languages it is extremely tedious in Smalltalk to get an overview over
> a project, a package, or even a single class or to navigate between
> entities.
>
>> And yes, I really *really* miss a good, object oriented class browser!
>
> Eclipse is pretty good, especially with the Java Browsing Perspective.
>
> Lukas

As soon as you would display the code for many methods in a single text pane,
you will find file-based-educated people making large refactorings in
a single pass...
Imagine this leads to many syntax errors, they will soon be willing to
save their changes for a later rework...
This would be a complete change in programming flow and if we really
want to support this, we would have to:
- add a way to save syntactically incorrect code
- let IDE tools work on partially correct code (syntax highlighting,
navigation, etc...)

IMHO, these features add a lot of complexity... Is it really worth?
I like the discipline of focusing on a single method until it is at
least syntactically correct.

On the other hand, in Smalltalk we have to transfer the complexity of
multi-method changes in the refactoring engines/menus when some simple
modify/replace in a file would work.

Nicolas