[Pharo-project] Cog+linux: external module not found

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Mon Jan 9 21:36:02 CET 2012

On 09 Jan 2012, at 20:06, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> I think you have the situation very much in reverse.  You are flying off the handle, not me.
>
> Cog deserves better than to ignore feedback from motivated users.  Motivated users deserve better than to be insulted for their efforts to improve it.

Pharo, Squeak, Cog, Seaside, and most other Smalltalk software on SqueakSource is open source, written almost exclusively by people in their free time. And although most of them will try to help the users of their software the best they can, they cannot and should not do just anything unless they want to. The relation between open source authors and their users should be mutually productive. Using software and giving feedback if one thing, but it is not enough. It can't be one way all the time.

I might be wrong, but I fail to find

- any issues you put in the issue tracker(s)
- any issues you solved
- any open source software you published on SqueakSource or anywhere else
- any blog post or web pages with documentation, tutorials, .. that you wrote

I hope you get the point: there are many more ways to contribute than what you are doing now.

Pharo and other projects need all the help they can get, give back to the community, we are all using software written by others in the same spirit, it is only fair to honor these contributions.

My 2c,

Sven