[Pharo-project] Most wanted programming language:

Friedrich Dominicus frido at q-software-solutions.de
Tue Jan 10 09:29:15 CET 2012

Dennis Schetinin <chaetal at gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, we do: the (outer) world is getting worse and worse :)
No not really. See there is Objective-C in fifth place. That is not too
bad. JavaScript is up also and that is very much a Smalltalk in
disguise. I'd just would appreciate if Smalltalk was at least among the
first 10. At least that would be deserved. Anyway if you see Smalltalk
as "idea" supplier for Object-oriented languages, one can see that OO
really rules. Down to Transact-SQL all the languages offer more or less
support for OO-programming. Some even claim to be object-oriented ;-)

There is not one language among the first 15 which does not offer
anything about OO. See even Visual Basic uses it.

Well it's not that this may all too much, but it's still obvious. OO is
currently the "way to go".

I for my part would appreciate some more support for functional
languages. But to some extend all of them at least support it
partially. What is astonishing is the rank of R.  That I think can be
seen as "unexpected".

--
Q-Software Solutions GmbH; Sitz: Bruchsal; Registergericht: Mannheim
Registriernummer: HRB232138; Geschaeftsfuehrer: Friedrich Dominicus