[Pharo-project] New IDE alternative (was Misc. newbie questions)

Gerry Weaver gerryw at compvia.com
Thu Jan 12 10:13:10 CET 2012

Hello All,

I've been thinking about the idea of an alternate IDE quite a bit. What I'm envisioning would be something akin to the Delphi IDE. Delphi is probably the most productive gui based environment I've ever worked in. It would be very interesting to combine Smalltalk with such an environment. My feeling about the current IDE is that it is somewhat dated. It was designed at a time when monitors were the size of port holes. I think an updated environment would go a long way to making the language more interesting and accessible. The difficult part about Smalltalk certainly isn't the language, it's the strange IDE layout. If that barrier were to be removed, then a person could really hit the ground running. The only real difference I would see between the old and the new would be the code editor. The rest would just be a little rearranging of what is already there. I'm slowly talking my self
into actually starting down the road a bit. I think I'll try to find a few days that I can spend doing some investigating.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Gerry