[Pharo-project] New IDE alternative (was Misc. newbie questions)

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Thu Jan 12 12:30:21 CET 2012

On 12 Jan 2012, at 10:23, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hello Gerry
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I've been thinking about the idea of an alternate IDE quite a bit. What I'm envisioning would be something akin to the Delphi IDE. Delphi is probably the most productive gui based environment I've ever worked in. It would be very interesting to combine Smalltalk with such an environment. My feeling about the current IDE is that it is somewhat dated.
>
> + 1000000
>
>> It was designed at a time when monitors were the size of port holes. I think an updated environment would go a long way to making the language more interesting and accessible. The difficult part about Smalltalk certainly isn't the language, it's the strange IDE layout. If that barrier were to be removed, then a person could really hit the ground running. The only real difference I would see between the old and the new would be the code editor. The rest would just be a little rearranging of what is already there. I'm slowly talking my self
>> into actually starting down the road a bit. I think I'll try to find a few days that I can spend doing some investigating.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> Brainstorm using glamour to prototype something.
> We definitively need innovation and rethink how we work.
>
> I can tell you that what we have is not what I dream of.

I am all for people trying/prototyping new stuff, new ideas; that's one of the strong points of Smalltalk.

However, I think/feel that for most Smalltalk developers, the combination of Language+Libraries+IDE in its current state is way better than anything else out there, why else would we keep using it, why else would we choose it above other environments ?

In that perspective, I am a bit wary about people who want to change it all to make it so much better, especially if they are not experienced Smalltalkers.

BTW, what is the current state of Nautilus ?

When working with Camillo during the last sprint, he had Nautilus in his image and it seemed to work well.

Sven