[Pharo-project] Preparing 1.4 beta

Henrik Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Fri Jan 13 23:14:56 CET 2012

On Jan 13, 2012, at 9:44 30PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>> (but have a backwards-compatible external package)
>
> I think that it will be difficult enough to swap the two events notification systems
> and that we will not make a backward compatible package. I think that for migrating the few users will just have to
> register to the new one. Now give me 10 full time engineers and we do it.
> At the end of the day, we should do some reality checks and put resources on the right items.
>
> Stef

I'm talking of existing external users of the SystemChangeNotifier, like (assumption on my part) OCompletion, OB, Coral and others.
Implementing a backwards-compatible protocol as one of the steps shouldn't be too hard, is probably needed to keep the system running while swapping out the existing one anyways, and will ease migration of the external packages by keeping them loadable with the backwards-compat package in in image.

To avoid another rant of getting legs kicked out from under one as part of an upgrade, and provide a generally pleasant upgrade experience for everyone, I think it is crucial.

If I can make it in May, I'll work on it.

Cheers,
Henry