[Pharo-project] New IDE alternative (was Misc. newbie questions)

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Mon Jan 16 10:59:46 CET 2012

On 1/15/12 6:44 PM, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> On 1/15/2012 6:55 AM, Gerry Weaver wrote:
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>>> I am not comfortable with the idea to write parts of an application in
>>> different languages.
>>> Typically the disadvantages overweigh the advantages to do so as you
>>> would have different languages and systems to master and update.
>>> Interoperability with other systems and languages should be easy and
>>> Squeak/Pharo are still lacking in this area. This is well known and
>>> hopefully there will be some improvements in the future.
>>
>> I guess I would have to disagree with you here. Most of the editors and
>> IDEs of other languages are not maintained by the language proper. There
>> are many editors and IDEs that support many languages in addition to the
>> one they are written in. I think the benefits of using a full featured
>> GUI toolkit to create an IDE would be significant.
>
> And I have to disagree with you here. You lack the imagination and
> knowledge to understand the significant advantage of having a single
> language, environment and toolset that Smalltalk provides.

I agree that there is an advantage to having a unified
IDE/environment/etc, but Smalltalk IS stuck in the past in that it
doesn't take advantage of multiple cores. I'm not talking about
multi-threading in the usual sense, but things like the ability to debug
one image from another so that the errors that pop up in the application
under development don't affect the environment being used TO development
that application. This issue pops up most obviously when trying to debug
Cobalt/Croquet in a multi-user configuration, but arises all the time,
especially when external libraries (e.g. OpenGL) are being used and
errors occur that the current toolset isn't designed to accommodate.

We need to develop better ways of doing things, both for individual and
collaborative environments. IOW, we need spoon and teatime and various
other solutions to mature and work together.

L.