[Pharo-project] New IDE alternative (was Misc. newbie questions)

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Mon Jan 16 21:08:21 CET 2012

After pounding at the system and countless books/articles/keynotes, I get
that Smalltalk is a vision, not a syntax. Fortunately, I was hooked from the
beginning by Alan Kay's TED Talk, so I enthusiastically pushed through the
pain of adapting to the image, losing my vi bindings, etc. If it was only
about syntax, without the live, open, dynamic, turtles-all-the-way-down
system, I would probably use Ruby, which has more of the libraries I need
and want (although I would definitely miss passing blocks as any argument,
and keywords are nice).

*However*, like any "blue plane" idea, there are people that don't get it
(and actually /can't/ get it) and want to relate to Smalltalk as "a language
with cool syntax", giving up the productivity of a live environment. This is
the nature of paradigm shift.

Now, while I feel bad that those people are totally missing out on the
magic, if they are willing to join our community and contribute to the
libraries, fix bugs, user test, etc., let's welcome them with crappy (i.e.
standard) tools and reap the benefits of more pairs of hands and eyes.

I'm sure it won't be long before they are pair programming with or watching
someone at ESUG/Smalltalks/STIC who "gets it". When they start zipping
through senders and implementors, inspecting live objects, and opening
debuggers, I'm sure many will start to understand. Not all popcorn kernels
pop at the same time.

Hopefully, one of the converts will finally implement vi bindings in the
image development tools before I get around to doing the work ;-)

Sean