[Pharo-project] New IDE alternative (was Misc. newbie questions)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 11:23:26 CET 2012

On 18 January 2012 07:19, Friedrich Dominicus
<frido at q-software-solutions.de> wrote:
> Jimmie Houchin <jlhouchin at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I am all for improving our editing experience. But I want it in my
>> image and not in Emacs/vi. I would rather see our world improved than
>> to see it require an external editor which sees code as text, not
>> objects, where different external editors have differing features.
> Well I suggest then to start with adding an Editor which deserves that
> name. By all means the  editors in any Smalltalk are poor. And now that
> you mention Emacs. There is nothing comparable to this Editor for Text
> editing in any Smalltalk world-wide. So yes you an live within the live
> "objects!" but you have to leave them whenever you want to write
> something more but 5 lines of code.
>>
>> And yes, I am thoroughly pro Pharo. Do I believe there are
>> deficiencies. Yes. I just don't believe the GUI being non-standard,
>> the image, and the editor being in the image are not among them. And I
>> don't believe that challenges to those things should go unchallenged
>> and accepted just because somebody
> Ah yes another thing which wouuld be nice to have something with one can
> understand without studying it for years and repeated tries. A simple
> way of building somewhat resembling GUI applications in Pharo/Squeak. Ah
> yes flame me that I do appreciate the fantastic Morph world. It's  so
> fantastic that just the developers can build a somewhat "usable"
> interface with it. Tell me about the "great" applicatons using Morph
> (anything besides yet another Browser please)
>>
>> And yes, I am just as opinionated about my perceptions of the
>> deficiencies of Python, Clojure, Ruby, Eclipse, Netbeans, ...
>> Or my frustrations when using them.
>> I just don't go into those communities expecting them to shape their
>> favorite tool to my vision. I rather try to use their tools and
>> attempt to learn their values and ways, assuming they have reason and
>> purpose for their language and tools.
> Well at least you get an Editor with Eclipse and Netbeans. But yeah we
> don't need not stinking Editor.

The editor in Pharo suits my needs pretty well.
I do not use it for editing rich text , i use it for coding. 5 lines
of code per method. Period.
No need for code folding, no need for sophisticated regex
search/replace. No need bookmarks
No need for (put your favorite).
Just because it is there for coding in smalltalk. If you want an
editor which can edit books, feel free to implement it.

I am using bicycle to get to work. It is comfortable, fast and
reliable for daily use. Now what you would think about a guy on street
who
attempting to laugh at me because my bike don't have jet engine to
travel to Earth's orbit?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.