[Pharo-project] can't infer base LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Aborting.

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 18:48:59 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Nahuel Garbezza <n.garbezza at gmail.com>wrote:

> > Thanks.  But what's the corresponding /usr/lib?  e.g. is there a
> > /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu?  In this context LD_LIBRARY_PATH needs to
> contain a
> > /lib and a /usr/lib.
> >

> Yes, /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ exists. As it worked, I thought it was
> not necessary.

The point is that LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used by dlopen, which is used by the
VM's module loading mechanisms, etc, so that when e.g. the FFI tries to
locate a library it will use LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  So a) LD_LIBRARY_PATH needs
to match the libraries the VM is linked against and b) LD_LIBRARY_PATH
needs to include at least the standard places libraries will be found,
which means a /lib and a /usr/lib.

HTH
Eliot

--