[Pharo-project] Redesign of Mouse/Touch/Gestures/Keyboard events neccessary?

Guido Stepken gstepken at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 23 12:45:47 CET 2012

Hi!

When i look at Apple Hardware Shop i find "Magic Mouse". This cheap mouse
has a "surface", hat works like a touch screen, accepts multitouch, 2,3
finger gestures, pressure sensor (over widening fingercontactformsize, like
ipad does) scrollwheel emulation, even replaces special 3D input devices,
used for CAD.

In about one year from now there won't be any classic keyboard/mouse/screen
hardware and software available, all OS for desktop will have complex
finger/gesture/approach/video sensors tightly integrated into the os.

My OS even puts a window in front, when i look at it, i don't even need to
move my mouse over or even klick into that hidden window.

Furthermore, new OS have received a "multiuseronedesktop" function, where a
second, third and forth person might have their own input devices assigned,
e.g. several programmers typing in one text window (simultaneous pair
programming, no need to handover keyboard) or typing from above, e.g. on
Microsofts new touch table, produced by Samsung. 4 Users sitting in front
of a table, typing on touch or virtually assigned Bluetooth keyboard,
turning windows to show each other.

In a few years this will be standard even in schools, at work, in
restaurants, people sitting, eating, playing chess or multiuser pong.

As i could read, the Pharo chief designers have even removed the turn
window angle functionality, that was implemented in squeak, WHY THAT???
Instead i would like to have virtually assigned touch keyboards to turnable
windows. New touch tables go up to recognize 60 fingers at the same time.
Approach sensors, gyro, video : My mobile has built in such thing. Pretty
nice, my phone "sees itself approaching my ear", unlocking the microphone
and speaker on incoming phone call. Thats built in in Android 4.0. Approach
sensors trigger videoinput to recognize gestures or - like in newer HP and
Lenovo notebooks activate powerdown state, when user leaves and
reactivates, when user comes back. It can differ between "user reading" and
"user absent". Thats already built in, becomes standard soon in all
notebooks with windows 8.

So far my report of "state of the art of software programming".

feel inspired, Guido Stepken