[Pharo-project] Enthousiasm is the main currency among developers

Guido Stepken gstepken at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 27 20:51:05 CET 2012

Hi Elliot!

When I rethink, why new programming languages came up from zero to a
significant market share, like PERL, PHP, Python, Ruby, JAVA, C# (.net)
Visual Basic, Visual C++ and others died out, like Delphi,
TurboBasic/Pascal/C I could name different reasons:

- Free license vs. expensive
- Wrong payment model (per developer, per runtime, both)
- Good, free support on websites vs. "Bronze/silver/gold" paystupid-support
- Attractiveness of one "killer app" that made programmers change to
another language
- Portability of code onto other platforms
- Mightyness of libraries
- Missing standards, protocols, support of hardware
- Good vs. bad marketing, deciders not convinced that product will
survive/missing timeline, visions, lack of money in background
- Subcritical mass of programmers using product, lack of professionals

That was in former times.

Today, new criterias play a far more relevant role, hat haven't really
existed just 3 years ago:

- Has it (the OS,the programming language and GUI framework) an
appstore/plugin concept to let free, creative brains being able to
participate, earn money with?
- Barrier - free payment model included (mobile payment, card, bank
account)?
- Free use with sponsoring by ads possible (programmers payed from multiple
resources, not user alone)
- Cryptographic prevention of missuse included?
- Free and matured SDK available?
- Connections to social software like facebook/twitter/Google+/Groupon
included (API access, programming language and all protocols supported)
- GUI designed for desktop as well usable for touch and self adapting to
different screen/touch sizes?
- Touch gestures possible and lib avail?
- Microsofts Kinect hardware/video recognition of faces, hand/face mimic
gestures possible and supported in libs?
- Voice recognition supported?
- Mobile ready? (touch, GPS, compass, barometer, gyro, hardware OpenGL)
- Rockstable?
- Fast, running in low power devices? Joule per clock cycle ratio???
- Critical mass of users already reached, increasing?
- Critical number of apps there to raise interest?

So, the Pharo developers might now decide, what to invest their brainpower
into! :-)

Just my 2ct.

Guido Stepken