[Pharo-project] Smalltalk for small projects only?

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sat Jan 28 20:16:37 CET 2012

On 1/28/12 10:12 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
> You say "underhyped" as though this is bad - *hype* is BAAAAADD.  Junk
> needs hype to survive.
>
> It took me a while to learn that "creating an application" in ST is
> "hard" - it's because it's not well supported because the initiated
> don't waste their time with it _until_ it comes time to deploy, and
> even then, it's not NEEDED.
>
> We need to teach, not pander, IMHO.  Show people that there is a
> better way and what it is.  A glossy ad compliant C# "application"
> that does what my pharo image can do would be a MONSTER.  No one would
> build such a thing because they probably could not do so.
>
> Keep adding good stuff.

In fact, there IS a better way. Igor's NativeBoost and NBOpenGL are a
game-changer.

My video tutorials aren't terribly well done compared to many others out
there, but I do hype them a bit. The ones that get the most attention,
by far, are those that show how to integrate OpenGL and Smalltalk.

You want Pharo/Squeak/Smalltalk to become better used? Ensure that the
most interesting (to the most programmers) aspects become well-known,
and at least as importantly, well-supported.

Lawson