[Pharo-project] Smalltalk for small projects only?

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sat Jan 28 21:08:56 CET 2012

S, dimitris chloupis piše:

> I think this is a post that clearly illustrates the big problem with
> smalltalk. The very fact that is compared with Java and Java survives.

Yes, that 4-5 peole can do what 50 Java people are needed is both a
blessing and a curse :) Blessing because of productivity, curse because
we are not able to scale beyond one highly connected development group.
We don't have project management practices and tools, while Java guys
have because they need them from the start.

> You know I dont find it mysterious at all that smalltalk is unpopular as
> it is. If I go to the python website I know in 4 second why I should use
> python, if I go to a Java site in 10 seconds I know what Java is good
> for, if I go to a C/c++ again in seconds it becomes clear what is the
> goal, even Assembly websites explain in a few lines what the language is
> all about.

> With Squeak and Pharo on the other hand it took me literally hours to
> figure out what they are good for and by the time I did I was amazed how
> underhyped smalltalk is. For me at least is the most underhyped piece of
> software I have ever used.

This is a valuable point to consider in the future.