[Pharo-project] MCWorkingCopy>>#uniqueVersionName

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Sun Jan 29 20:05:43 CET 2012

Today I pressed Command-. while looking at a slow Monticello save, I was wondering what the system was doing before I even had written my commit message.

Apparently, MCWorkingCopy>>#uniqueVersionName checks every repository linked to the package, (6 for Zn in my case), to see if the proposed version name is unique across all these repositories, not using the cache.

I understand this, but this comes down to 6 times getting the list of all package names from remote servers.

One way to speed this up would be to parallelize these.

But fundamentally, I thought Monticello was supposed to be a distributed version control system ?

Would it not be possible to assign the version name based on local, best effort knowledge alone and deal with possible conflicts afterwards (there is the ancestory) ?

Just thinking out loud.

Sven