[Pharo-project] Smalltalk for small projects only?

Guido Stepken gstepken at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 29 21:12:19 CET 2012

I often discuss with Frank Lesser about Smalltalk compiler internals. He
has written a Smalltalk VM (GVM), that is written in Assembler and jits
Smalltalk directly dynamically into Intel machine code, that is *faster*
than C in normal cases, expecially when fine tuned, able to run VS, VA,
Squeak, Dolphin, Lesser Smalltalk in their own namespace, and MP!!! Sounds
strange, because of different implementations (bytecode, callbacks...). GC
runs on a 2.nd processor, what means, no more interruptions, Real Time
Availability!!! If you want, you can control all traffic signs of NY within
one Intel machine.

He proofes, that Smalltalk, expecially Pharo is far away from being at the

(And yes, i try to convince him to take part in the "language shootout" and
make his GVM MIT license) :-)

regards, Guido Stepken