[Pharo-project] MCWorkingCopy>>#uniqueVersionName

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 09:06:36 CET 2012

>> Ironically this proposition would make some Monticello operations
>> slower, because Monticello will need to download and open all versions
>> with the same name to figure out if the ancestry matches.
>>
>> Furthermore, this would subtly break many tools, because most of them
>> do not look at the ancestry but only at the filename (again to make it
>> fast).
>>
>> Last but not least, the proposal will annoy people that want to
>> integrate changes and that cannot because a file with that name is
>> already in their repository.
>
> Can we then do nothing at all ?

Commit speed has never been a problem to me.

> What about changing the naming, like adding an extra UUID to the name ?

That would have been a solution before all tools started to depend on
the naming.

> Don't _you_ have any ideas about speeding up Monticello ?

Use Monticello 2 that addresses this and many other problems of
Monticello 1. But then people also criticize Monticello 2 because it
addresses this problem, and version data is not human readable
anymore.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli