[Pharo-project] pharo vision

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Mon Jan 30 16:17:56 CET 2012

Thanks Steph! This is much-needed to focus our community and avoid
unnecessary confusion and chatter.

A few minor edits to Ch. 1:
pg. 1
	"curved in stone" should be carved
pg. 4
	* "based on an integreation server" should be integration
	* "test them and notify its results" should be "tests them and notifies its
results"
	* "We will also put in place another level of checks based on integration
servers as well." -> To me this sentence adds nothing. Either explain more
or remove it.
	* "We will not do that for the sake of changing." I think you mean "We will
not change for the sake of change."
	* "expressing in a more com- pact form all kind of information" would be
more clear as "expressing all kinds of information in a more compact form"
	* "optimization at compiler level" -> "optimization at the compiler level"
	* "Not only we want that people build" -> "Not only do we want people
build"
pg. 5
	* "We want that both users and the system general quality, benefit from the
best libraries." -> "We want both users and the general quality of the
system to benefit from the best libraries."
	* "we want to have validated packages running check rules and automated
tests automatically validated." is unclear, but I don't understand it well
enough to change it
	* "*a* good interaction with the rest of the world" should be "good
interaction with the rest of the world"
	* "The list *if* not exhaustive but should allow *one* to structure the
development effort." -> "The list is not exhaustive but should allow us to
structure the development effort."
	* "New IDES" -> "New IDEs"
	* "but also new *way* of handling" -> "but also new ways of handling"
	* "of new *kind* of IDEs, desktop metaphor and" -> "of new kinds of IDEs,
desktop metaphor and:" (added colon at end, subsequent bullets are children)
pg. 6
	* "proved that it was worth." Sentence fragment, I'm not clear enough to
fix it
	* "and complex *applications*" -> "and complex application"
	* "Obviously everybody prefer to use a fast library than a slow one. We
should develop rule checking that include speed regression testing." ->
"Obviously everybody prefers using a fast library over a slow one. We should
develop rule checking that includes speed regression testing."
	* "64 bits. For managing large amount of data" -> "64 bits. For managing a
large amount of data"
	* "Even if theoretically with a 32 bits VM we should be able to run images
of at least 2 GBs, this is not the case of current available VMs. For
example, the Windows VM does not support images bigger than 512 MB." ->
"Although a 32 bit VM can theoretically run images of up to 2 GB, the
currently available VMs are more limited. For example, the Windows VM does
not support images bigger than 512 MB."
pg. 7
	* "Large applications" section is repeated
	* "OpenSophie proved that Smalltalk and Squeak in particular, the ancestor
of Pharo, are good platforms for building advanced multimedia applications.
We believe that Pharo can be used in such situation." -> "OpenSophie proved
that Smalltalk, and Squeak (Pharo's ancestor) in particular, are good
platforms for building advanced multimedia applications. We believe that
Pharo is well-suited for this."

Sean