[Pharo-project] pharo vision

Henrik Sperre Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Mon Jan 30 23:48:30 CET 2012

On 30.01.2012 23:02, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2012, at 5:10 PM, Henrik Johansen wrote:
>
>> Going back to pure ANSI-streams as provided by FSFileStream is not really an option.
> Can you elaborate on your previous sentence?
> Because the underlying reason is not 100% clear to me.
FSFileStreams are pure ansi-protocol compliant streams.
No buffering, no optimization, strange concoction of the underlying
primitives (like Nicolas mentioned, always pairing seek and read), no
"built-in" way to translate using encodings, no other bells, no whistles.

Creating such streams from the FSPath stream creation API makes little
to no sense, lest the goal is to provide a simple API for accessing
streams in a cross-platform manner, in which case I guess you'd leave
the rest of the work to other non-ansi, but cross-platform libraries.

Cheers,
Henry