[Pharo-project] CogVM driver vs executable

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Tue Jan 31 09:30:55 CET 2012

  http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2012-January/058790.html

I got feedback from people trying to use SSL with Eliot's CogVM

  http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2522/coglinux.tgz

instead of the Pharo one that I normally use

  http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/29042/CogVM-Unix-13307.zip

They reported that it did not work for them.

So I tried this myself on my Ubuntu 11.10 (GNU/Linux 3.0.0-14-virtual i686) server and yes it fails with 'can't infer base LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Aborting.' which was discussed in this list before. I am not qualified to really understand those discussions.

But when I used the executable 'inside' coglinux/lib/squeak/4.0-2522/squeak everything worked as expected.

So the question is what does the driver (I don't know if that is the right word) coglinux/squeak or coglinux/bin/squeak do ?
Since the pharo variant seems to operate fine without it, do we need the driver ?

Sven