[Pharo-project] End of startup script behavior

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tue Jan 31 11:10:23 CET 2012

Sven,

Reminds me of one of early Dolphin hacks.  OA being who they are, eventually fixed the snag.  The problem was that event loop needed to be running for some late startup tasks to run properly.  In this case, the image would do nothing vs. quit, but I suspect it's the same lesion under a different name.

My fix was to queue a deferred action and then fork a thread to wait until after OA's startup, and then did the offending work.  It worked, and they added more or less the same thing to Dolphin.  Interestingly, I never had to remove my hack<g>,

Please note (nobody wants to hear this) that Dolphin has thread synchronization objects, weak collections, and other nice things that make us look bad by comparison, even ignoring the calendar differences.

Good luck!

Bill