[Pharo-project] Morpheas , bringing Morphic to Opengl (3d GUIs)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 18:18:44 CET 2012

On 31 January 2012 17:47, Lawson English <lenglish5 at cox.net> wrote:
> On 1/31/12 9:03 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> On 31 January 2012 14:57, dimitris chloupis<thekilon at yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> Is there any documentation anywhere even partial for NBOpenGL that I can
>> use
>> ? (google does not return anything )
>>
>> since it is a direct binding to opengl, do not expect any documentation on
>> it.
>> it is assumed that if you know opengl, you should be capable of doing
>> the rest by yourself :)
>>
>> maybe context handling/initialization part needs some documenting..
>> but not that much.
>> since using FFI you can directly interact with OS and other OS-specific
>> stuff,
>> anyone could actually do it in own whay (an opengl context creation),
>> while then use the NBOpenGL for rendering.
>>
> Well, there are a few quirks with using it in Morphs that are specific to
> Squeak and Pharo, and there are differences between Squeak AND Pharo that
> one needs to know about if one wants the best possible framerate for each,
> etc.

not required part for opengl bindings to function.

> Also, how to fully integrate the World morph so that it renders into an
> OpenGL window as efficiently as possible is still not totally clear to me,
> even after your last email...

Right, but i'd like to stress, that NBOpenGL is a bindings to OpenGL
and nothing more.
Making a full Morphic world to be displayed in opengl context or vise
versus is not of its concern,
because it is actually is up to you how you gonna use it.

> But those are things that will get resolved as time goes on and can be put
> into class examples and a help manual...

yes, in examples and demos, like one i did.
But i'm not going to make it "standard" designating the only way how
it could be used.

You know, there's alot of applications for opengl. One might want to
use for a fullscreen
rendering , and render something completely irrelevant to morphic,
other can use it for offscreen rendering, or even for doing math on GPU.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.