No subject

Tue Jan 24 09:43:06 CET 2012

The only thing what i could say is that jumping from version to
version hoping that problem will magically dissolve by itself is bad
technique.
Knowing what happens is much better than relying on hope, because your
approach sounds like trying to catch black cat in dark room.

lists.gforge.inria.fr] on behalf of Igor Stasenko [siguctua at gmail.com]
> Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 2:01 PM
> To: Pharo-project at lists.gforge.inria.fr
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] [Bug Tracker] Issues tagged 1.3
>
> On 24 February 2012 20:48, Schwab,Wilhelm K <bschwab at anest.ufl.edu> wrote=
:
>> Sig,
>>
>> Fair enough. =C2=A0I find 1..3 to unstable, and the thrashing sounds abo=
ut right. =C2=A0For now I am trying to carve a home in 1.4.

> i don't think it is fair labeling 1.3 unstable. It is quite stable and
> worked well for me. Now there's always space for improvement,
> but that's doesn't nullifies the quality of previous hard work of many
> people (pharo 1.3, 1.2 , 1.1, 1.0 squeak etc..)
>
>> Bill

=A0I don't even know if there is a fix, but there appears to be in 1.4. =C2=
=A0If backporting that to 1.3 is feasible, it should be done. =C2=A0I *thin=
k* I know some keywords that might pull his relevant reply (something like =
"you are a victim of") from the archive. =C2=A0Can't do it right now.

>> i remember it.
>> And no, i don't see why these changes are needed to be backported to 1.3=
.
>> It was :
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=3D5167&q=3Dfinalization&=
colspec=3DID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone%20Difficulty

>> and fix which were integrated was about improving a situation with
>> runaway processes and interrupt handling.
>>
>> Now, that bug entry is still not closed, becaue we have to deal with
>> so-called "finalization trashing", whether it is real issue or not.
>> As to me, this is not an issue, because finalization "trashing" is a
>> consequence but not the cause. And since it is better to fix the cause
>> instead, that what i actually did.
>> And then during integration i made a mistake in one method (an
>> overlooking), causing debugger to not open, but it is already
>> reverted.
>> All this is related to 1.4 bleeding edge, not to 1.3.
>> And i personally don't see good reason porting it to 1.3. It is not
>> critical. We just improved this part a bit. So, the new pharo version
>> is naturally better than older one.. that's why we got versions
>> and development process. :)
>> If we would start backporting everything, then we don't need versions
>> anymore. We then will just have single image and fight with all
>> dragons at once.
>>
>>> BTW, =C2=A0I took Stef's reply and used it to good effect - might have =
even figured out why I couldn't build images. =C2=A0All part of testing. =
=C2=A0If you look, you'll find code of mine in the image. =C2=A0Have you no=
ted some of my responses to help others - probably not. =C2=A0But I would r=
ather not play "I haven't seen" games.

s at lists.gforge.inria.fr] on behalf of Sven Van Caekenberghe [sven at beta9.be]
>>> Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 6:02 AM
>>> To: Pharo-project at lists.gforge.inria.fr
>>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] [Bug Tracker] Issues tagged 1.3

 night here and I'm in and out. =C2=A0I think Sig will know the details mor=
e off the top, otherwise I'll search later. =C2=A0Would you rather I say no=
thing about a known bug?

>>> I can't find anything with Schwab, Bill or Wilhelm in any issue ever in=
 http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list (there are a handful that are m=
ore than half a year old, magically you even received help). I read this ma=
iling list all the time, I can't remember seeing a concrete, reproduceable =
bug report. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

>>> Some, like Stef, even took the trouble of trying to load some of the st=
uff that was causing you trouble, only to report that it worked for them.

>>> I and many others ask for help and report problems here all the time. I=
t is incredible how people spring up all the time to help others with both =
simple and deep problems. It is often so that the one reporting a problem d=
id something wrong himself, I am guilty here as well, but even then people =
took the trouble to look and give some of their valuable time.

>>> The way you ask the question makes a huge difference: provide details, =
make it reproduceable, don't include negative stuff.

>>> I'll make you a promise: I'll give you some of my personal time to try =
whatever you report next as 'BAD bug, makes 1.3 unstable, rendering the ima=
ge useless', provided there is a description of how I should do it.

>>> Sven
>>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko.