[Pharo-project] [ANN] Brltty support for Pharo

Goubier Thierry thierry.goubier at cea.fr
Mon Jul 2 10:52:22 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have created a project and release a start for connecting Pharo to
Brltty, the software layer handling braille keyboards under Linux. This
is the first step which could allow a blind user to use Pharo. The
project is hosted on ss3, at: http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/StBrltty.html

At the moment, this code is only able to authenticate with the brltty
server, not yet able to display anything (it's hard to read the brltty
source code to guess the protocol used). There is some overall design to
be done, because a braille keyboard is a fairly complex device (with
input / tty keys, not a pure display device), even if my blind colleague
is perfectly fine using it only as a display device and navigating with
a normal keyboard. There will be a bit of Morphic adaptations to be done
as well, such as keyboard navigation (it's not working very well at the
moment in Pharo 1.3 and 1.4).

I have the start of a proposal for funding, but I can't push this
forward; I do believe an internship (L3/M1 in the french system) would
probably be enough to get it to work. I do have a test setup : a user
and two Braille keyboards with different characteristics. So, if anybody
is interested to take over me ?

Regards,

Thierry
--