[Pharo-project] Pharo and an old plotter

Pavel Krivanek pavel.krivanek at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 14:47:02 CET 2012

Hi,

I would like to mention one funny usage of Pharo. I have got an old
simple czech plotter from 1989 named XY4150. It is no secret that the
interactive environment of Smalltalk is ideal for controlling such
machines because it is very easy to send commands to it and experiment
with drawing capabilities.

Even today such old hardware can find a real-life production
deployment. I currently use it to write owner names to plastic cards
with pre-printed bar codes by a special pen destined to sign credit
cards :-)

It is controlled by Arduino however LPT can be used too.

Btw. there was several interesting czech plotters. The most
interesting one was named Merkur Alfi. It was a construction set for
children with two stepper motors and one relay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUmFYzyL9eo

And they started to sell it recently again so if you are looking for
some cool hardware for your children, you can look here:
http://www.merkurtoys.cz/vyrobky/plotrovy-zapisovac-alfi-z-merkuru[1]
But it's about 139€ so it's quite expensive...

Cheers,
-- Pavel