[Pharo-project] Athens, Nativeboost and Igor's gray hair

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 15:38:11 CET 2012

Hi,

Last week I've been sick, and because of that I've been bored. To get some fun I started to learn NativeBoos and Athens (and to stress Igor's patience on explain things :).

After all, I prototyped a couple of examples that I think are fun:

1) AthensPlayground. This is a workspace prepared to fast-prototype athens animations (taking the same idea of http://www.processing.org/)

You can see a video of the (for now) results here: http://youtu.be/NaR_fyk3qq4

I think it can be a good addition for people willing to do some animation work :)

2) After that, of course I was very happy, but I thought "why to stop there? now I want more!" and so, I made a quick search about physics library and after a couple of hours I made a (very primitive) Chipmunk usage framework and an even more primitive and simple "game engine like" framework, to mix both Athens and Chipmunk library.

A video of the results can be found here: http://youtu.be/ZK-JlbeN09A

Pretty cool, isn't?

Ok, I know... is not like I invented the hot water, all of this was more or less present in morphic... but is cool to have real examples on using external libraries (also, physics are really hard to simulate, so... better to use something already existent).

If you want to play with it, you can go to: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~estebanlm/Storm

Enjoy :)

Esteban