[Pharo-users] the amazing Tools > Finder > Examples tool
btc at openInWorld.com
Mon Dec 31 12:04:49 CET 2012
Just wanting to relate a recent experience using Examples in the Finder,
since this is a great tool that I didn't learn how to use for a long
time. I have just now again been pleasantly surprised and mildly amazed
that it works a well as it does. Perhaps there is someone out there
might gain from an introduction to its use...
I am creating a mouse-over popup using Rossal, for which I needed to
format a string to a maximum width. This is something I thought likely
already done within the standard image but before rushing to the mail
list to ask an old-hand where I might find it, I thought I'd just try...
1. World Menu > Tools > Finder
2. Choosing "Examples" from the pull down menu.
3. In the search-input-field typing: 'abcdef' . 3 . 'abc', String cr
4. Clicking the <Search> button.
which gave me one result String>>withNoLineLongerThan:
that was exactly what I needed.
You will notice that the search input field is an array of three items:
* 'abcdef' - this first item is the receiver of the message
* 3 - middle items are parameters to the message
* 'abc', String cr , 'def' - the last item is the message-return-value
The really cool part of this is being able to construct the
message-return-value as an expression, to place a newline
carriage-return where I would expect it to appear.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 52288 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Pharo-users