[Pharo-users] Kinematic Templates implemented in Pharo

Carla F. Griggio carla.griggio at gmail.com
Mon May 6 03:00:54 CEST 2013

Hello!
Some months ago Germán Leiva and I did a project for the course
"Introduction to Human Computer Interaction" at Université Paris-Sud where
we had to implement an interaction technique, and we chose to implement
Kinematic Templates in Pharo (or well, at least a little prototype). Maybe
it's useful for somebody, so here's some info :)

The Kinematic Templates interaction technique suggests adjusting the user's
mouse input to it tends to match a drawing template. That allows the user
to draw in free-hand mode and obtain a "beautified" version of it's hand
drawing. You can watch the original Kinematic Templates
demo<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lseh9ghhJ4>and read
the paper <http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1449725>.

This is a video of our implementation in
Pharo<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2AmU4nqnLw>.
And here you have the
report<https://docs.google.com/document/d/18gXYdhhPQlXUNGCqbEEBRgb2NRyKLgYcIeURoAQ-OwU/edit?usp=sharing>that
we handed in for our evaluation too, which can be useful as
documentation. In the report you can find links to videos that show the
progress of the project.

BTW, it only works on MacOS, sorry for that :$ It's because we only dealt
with the FFI calls to that OS in order to manipulate the mouse position.

You can get the code from: http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/KinematicTemplates

To open the window for drawing with Kinematic Templates evaluate in a
workspace:

KinematicWindow openExample

Cheers!
Carla