[Simgrid-user] Platform files and routing in SimGrid 3.5

Ludovic Courtès ludovic.courtes at inria.fr
Mon Jan 3 10:38:05 CET 2011

Hello and happy new year!  :-)

Martin Quinson <Martin.Quinson at loria.fr> writes:

> Le lundi 20 décembre 2010 à 12:21 +0100, Ludovic Courtès a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> Martin Quinson <Martin.Quinson at loria.fr> writes:

>> > No, I mean, I'm kinda a psychorigid freak wrt to backward compatibility,
>> > but the reasons were *very* good. Ok, that's the second such breakage
>> > that you find in 3.5,
>>
>> An unfortunate side effect is that only one of the platform descriptions
>> at <http://pda.gforge.inria.fr/> worked with 3.4.1, and none works with
>> 3.5, for instance.
>>
>> The ‘simgrid_update_xml’ script is a good idea IMO but it operates on
>> the surface syntax and thus is only works in very limited scenarios.
>
> What exactly would you expect from that script ?

I thought it would upgrade platform files from the 3.4 format to the 3.5
format.

> That it parses the file, understand how it was generated, and
> reproduces the underlying ASes? It does not really seem feasible to
> me, actually. Do you have any idea of how to achieve it?

Parsing the file may help, yes.  For options whose default value changed
(like “symmetrical="No"”), it could automatically add the attribute that
makes the value explicit; it could add the ‘AS’ tag, things like that.

But since I’m not this familiar with the format, I may be overlooking
subtleties, of course.

> And about backward compatibility, it is clearly unfortunate that PDA
> files were not upgraded so far, and we'll do so as soon as possible. But
> you should remember that this is a *free* (as free speach) *research*
> project. The first implication is that we give our best on usability,
> even if we are not tied to any contract for doing so. The second
> implication is that such a project goes faster if you participate.

Sure, understood.  Sorry if my message sounded harsh, it wasn’t
intended.

> Please send us the little patches that you are doing to fix the issues
> you encounter.

I patched specific platform files and the platform generator in Hubble
(another free research project), so it may not be very helpful to the
wider audience:

  https://gforge.inria.fr/plugins/scmgit/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=hubble/hubble.git;a=commitdiff;h=be6b8ff732c2a5405f0d7caa9dc3482138a810b6
  https://gforge.inria.fr/plugins/scmgit/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=hubble/hubble.git;a=commitdiff;h=95871b91ace333d59c1cddc8aff4acce4adc9019

Thanks!