[Simgrid-user] Excessive Memory Use

Martin Quinson martin.quinson at loria.fr
Tue Jul 19 23:28:36 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 04:21:57PM -0300, Julio Anjos wrote:
> Hi
>
> We had a simulation running 2 processes per node using 2 channels.
> So, when we increased to 4 processes and 4 channels, the memory usage
> extrapolated our computer's physical capacity.
>
> Our simulation had only 105 nodes (350 cores).
>
> Is this behavior expected?

Duuude. What kind of answer are your expecting to this question?
Seriously.

In http://hal.inria.fr/inria-00602216/ we managed to simulate up to 2
million nodes on a single host machine. This machine was rather
high-end with 36Gb of RAM, agreed, but that's still about 18kb per
simulated node (of which 16kb were devoted to the user stack).

So, the SimGrid consumption should be under a dozen of megs in your
scenario. Either you have a very limited computer, or you should give
valgrind a try to see where your code is leaking memory ;)

Bye, Mt.

--
It goes against the grain of modern education to teach children to program.
What fun is there in making plans, acquiring discipline in organizing