[SimGrid-user] simdag: platform design - cloud with a common storage center, routing problem

Aurélie Kong Win Chang aurelie.kong-win-chang at ens-lyon.fr
Wed Jun 7 07:19:20 CEST 2017

Hello,

I am implementing a simulator to do experiments on scheduling of
scientific workflows on a cloud-typed platform. I use simDag to manage
the dependencies between tasks.

In my model, there is no peer-to-peer, all communications have to go
through a storage center. But I don't know how to force the
communications to do this. We found two solutions to handle this:
      - model the cloud as multiple clusters and manually apply a *2
factor to all communications (which is what I am using for now) -- This
supposes/models implicit distinct yet comparable up and down links
between each cabinet and the host
      - model the cloud as multiple clusters and a separate host (the
host will be the storage center, we don't take account of problem of
accessibility or time to read/write, we are only interested in
communication time). Then create in the workflow, between every pair of
tasks with a link of dependence, a false task of amount of work of zero,
which we would place on the "storage-center" host

But to us, it's more workarounds there. Is there a better way to do this ?
Thanks by advance,

Aurélie Kong Win Chang