[SimGrid-user] About network topology generator

Arnaud Legrand arnaud.legrand at imag.fr
Thu Apr 26 18:04:27 CEST 2018

Hello Cyril,

Le 25/04/2018 à 16:11, Cyril a écrit :
> I'm currently surveying some network topology generators (like BRITE,
> GT-ITM, ...) that automatically generate different topologies to be used
> in network experiments.

There has been a lot of work on this topic in the years 1995-2005. We
used to talk a lot about this when presenting SimGrid. See for example
(slides 71-87):
https://people.irisa.fr/Martin.Quinson/Teaching/SDR/simgrid-tutorial.pdf
Our conclusion back then was probably that the problem is not well
formulated and in particular, topology alone is useless without
information about the network and CPU characteristics.

I don't know if much has been done since. Furthermore, topologies (with
cloud, fog, etc.) must have evolved a bit...  Anyway, as far as we
(Martin, Frédéric, myself, ...) are concerned, most of our efforts
rather shifted  toward the modeling of real platforms than generating
synthetic ones. There are a few uggly perl scripts around allowing to
convert brite or gt-itm topologies into SimGrid platforms but I don't
think anyone used them since several years so they probably would have
to be adapted.

If you dig new works on this topic, I'm sure many people on the mailing
list would be interested (at least, *I* would be ;) so feel free to
share your thoughts and finding on this topic. Btw, do you have any
particular use in mind ?

Best,