[SimGrid-user] Multiple NPB applications run on a single topology (platform)

Millian Poquet millian.poquet at inria.fr
Thu Nov 8 16:14:05 CET 2018

Hi,

>From what I understood you would like to simulate the execution of concurrent MPI applications on the same platform.

I think this feature is only possible for offline simulation for the moment in SimGrid.
By offline simulation I mean replaying the execution of traces rather than executing the applications' code online.

One simple way to execute concurrent traces could be the following.

1. Obtain an execution trace from your applications.
This (under construction?) tutorial shows how to get a trace from smpirun.
https://simgrid.frama.io/simgrid/Tutorial_MPI_Applications.html#lab-2-tracing-and-replay-of-lu
2. Execute the several applications on the same time.
A SimGrid illustration of this can be found in the smpi/replay_multiple example.
https://framagit.org/simgrid/simgrid/tree/master/examples/smpi/replay_multiple

If you plan to work on the scheduling of such applications, you could be more interested in
using Batsim rather than SimGrid directly. In this case the steps would be:

1. Obtain the execution trace of your applications.
2. Generate a Batsim workload using these traces.
https://batsim.readthedocs.io/en/latest/input-workload.html
3. Then run Batsim on the desired platform with the desired scheduler (or do your own).
https://batsim.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tuto-first-simulation/tuto.html

I hope this helps,
--
Dr. Millian Poquet
Postdoc Researcher, Myriads Team, Inria/IRISA