[SimGrid-user] Multiple NPB applications run on a single topology (platform)

Augustin DEGOMME adegomme at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 16:29:12 CET 2018

Hi,

There is actually an experimental way to run multiple online instances in
SMPI as well, using the same method as
https://framagit.org/simgrid/simgrid/blob/master/examples/smpi/smpi_msg_masterslave.
This example lauches one MSG (irrelevant in your case) instance, and also
two different simple MPI ones.

Indeed the "main" functions from each instance have to be turned into
separate entrypoints functions in a new .c file.

Smpirun can't be used in this scenario, running has to be done directly and
a deployment xml file written by hand. You can check
https://framagit.org/simgrid/simgrid/blob/master/examples/smpi/smpi_msg_masterslave/deployment_masterslave_mailbox_smpi.xml
for an example (well maybe you can use the script in the example millian
talked about for this, but I'm not sure)  :

./masterslave_mailbox_smpi ../../platforms/small_platform_with_routers.xml
./deployment_masterslave_mailbox_smpi.xml --log=smpi.:info
--cfg=smpi/simulate-computation:no

I would also strongly advise to use --cfg=smpi/privatization:1 to have a
better handling of global variables as your case could be really tricky.

Best regards,
Augustin