[SimGrid-user] adding/removing hosts during simulation

Martin Quinson martin.quinson at ens-rennes.fr
Tue Nov 13 22:39:08 CET 2018

Hello Oleg,

unfortunately, it is not possible to add or remove hosts from the simulation right now. That's something we should fix in the future. In the meanwhile what people usually do to overcome this is that they just add all the hosts that they may need at start up, and they simply turn off the machines when they should not be part of the platform.

The extreme of this approach was some users simulating wifi networks and roaming by creating one host per potential location of their users. That's rather brutal, as they ended up with thousands of hosts, but it seems that SimGrid can deal with the load induced on the simulation core.

Maybe you can use this trick for the time being?

And if you really need that feature (eg because you'd need millions of hosts with this trick), just say so. I'd love to help you implementing a new routing algorithm that allows to add and remove hosts in your platform.

Take care,
Mt