[SimGrid-user] adding/removing hosts during simulation

Oleg Sukhoroslov oleg.sukhoroslov at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 11:02:16 CET 2018

Dear Martin,

Thanks for a quick reply.

The use case I have in mind is to model the execution of a single
cloud-based application. From the point of view of an application
developer (a cloud user), the cloud allows to flexibly add/remove nodes
(VM instances) to the application on-demand during the run time. Indeed,
it is possible to add all physical hosts at the beginning of the
simulation and to model the cloud infrastructure itself (or its part
that could be allocated at most to run the application). However, there
is actually no need to model the internals of the cloud in my use case.
Since there could by many possible instance types and configurations in
a cloud, it would be much more convenient just to dynamically add the
instances with specific configurations as hosts to the simulation
instead of dealing with placement of them to a static set of physical
hosts, invisible to the application. Essentially, from the point of view
of a cloud user, it should have its personal dynamically reconfigurable
distributed system.

So, in my case, the problem is not a large number of hosts, but rather
in development convenience and a large number of possible instance
configurations.

Hope my description is clear. Any advices are more than welcome.

Regards,
Oleg