[SimGrid-user] Geography Markup Language to XML Platform files

Adrien Lebre adrien.lebre at inria.fr
Mon Nov 26 22:52:34 CET 2018

Hi Anraud,

Thanks for your answer,
See my comments inline.

> On 26 Nov 2018, at 22:43, Arnaud Legrand <arnaud.legrand at imag.fr> wrote:
>
> Hi Adrien,
>
> Le 26/11/2018 à 17:28, Adrien Lebre a écrit :
>> We (at STACK research group) are working on fog/edge simulations. In
>> that context, we are wondering whether someone  from the Simgrid
>> community already tried to convert GML (geography markup language) to
>> Simgrid platform files. Our goal would be to leverage  the internet zoo
>> topology (http://www.topology-zoo.org/) to conduct representative
>> fog/edge simulations.
>
> AFAIK this has never been done.

Ok so we are going to give a look.

>> PS: it should not be a big deal but we are asking in order to prevent
>> reinventing the wheel once again ;)
>
> The main issue with these graphs is they provide you with the topology
> but lack quantitative information.
>
> Some of them provide some bandwidth information for the links but in
> general there is no latency information. It would probably be a bit
> haphazard but maybe the lat/long information could be used to derive
> some latency value…

Alexandre in CC already did  such a derivation (from the geographic information, one can compute an estimate of the latency).
it is not as good as we would like but.. if someone has a better proposal, please feel free ;-)

> Most files are small so using the floyd routing algorithm should work
> (in term of performance). It relies on the number of hops, which has has
> no reason to be faithful but why not ?
>
> As a summary, there is probably no good solution for this but I totally
> understand the need and the difficulty... In any cases, feel free to
> share the scripts you'll come up with. I'm sure everyone will be interested.

We will keep in touch
AFAIK, some folks working around pybatsim also work(ed) in that direction.

BR,
Adrien