[Why3-club] Why3 IDE

Claude Marché Claude.Marche at inria.fr
Wed Oct 19 17:12:01 CEST 2016

Hello,

Le 16/10/2016 à 17:47, Per Lindgren a écrit :
> Hi folks.
>
> I have a few usability questions.
>
> Regarding transformations: ------------------------------------ 1.
> There seems to be a shortcut associated to the Strategies (Compute
> (c), Inline (i), Split (s)). I can’t figure out how to access those,
> (Ctrl-c, collapses, Ctrl-r reloads, those shortcuts works, but for
> the Strategies, I haven’t figured out. (I tried both under OS X and
> Linux)

Simply type the character, without the Ctrl key nor the Shift key or
whatever.

> 2. Is there a simple way to add Strategies, without altering the
> source code. (Well they can be found under the Tools drop down, but
> its inconvenient)

I'm not sure about what you ask exactly. Strategies are not "officially"
supported in the release 0.87.2, but they are if you follow the git
master branch. In that case you will find information in the
documentation, section 10.6.

Roughly speaking, your own strategies can be coded using a very basic
programming language. Codes of strategies can be given textually in why3
config files, you don't need to modify the Why3 source code.

> 3. Alternatively, can one associate shortcuts also to those
> Transformations under Tools, (maybe there is already shortcuts, but
> the key bindings are now shown)

Adding shortcuts is part of the mechanism for defining strategies in
Why3 config files.

> And perhaps most importantly: 4. Is there a simple way to undo a
> transformation. Sometimes, it could be useful, when trying out a
> proof, to quickly be able to reverse to prior proof state(s).
> Especially if you are applying a transformation on a set of “split”
> goals, then you have to go through each goal and remove the applied
> transformations, or alternatively go up to the point of the split,
> and remove that (all subsequent transformations will then be removed,
> but its quite inconvenient).

Unfortunately it is not possible. If you are lucky and just loaded the
session, or just saved the session into disk, then you have the
possibility to exit without saving and reload.

> Regarding why3 source code editing: ------------------------ Both
> under OS X and linux, it seems that the source view is just a view,
> and does not allow for editing (I assume its the expected behaviour).
> Is there ongoing work towards a coq-ide like built in editor? (Seems
> to be the same GTK based windows, so perhaps code could be borrowed,
> but I’m not familiar with GTK programming.) I’ve seen you can
> associate external editors, and I use Emacs for coq integration that
> works well. Currently I use Emacs for the why3 source editing, and
> then reload (but errors have to be located manually, since there is
> no integration).

Indeed the ability the edit the source directly was experimented. If you
want to give a try, modify the source file src/ide/gmain.ml, in the line

let allow_editing = false (* not reliable enough yet *)

replace the false by true, and recompile. In order to re-interpret the
edited file, I'm afraid you will have to type both Ctrl-S (to save on
disk) and then Ctrl-R (to update the session view)

I'm not sure I remember why we did not want to make it possible by
default. It may be because we found no way to check whether the file
needs saving before exiting, so that we can ensure the user would not
lose her/his modifications without notice.

> Any input welcome. (I’ve starting to look into the why3 source code,
> but its quite a big project, and I’m new to GTK so its challenging…)

The code for the GTK interface is indeed ugly. Anyway, if you succeed to
modify the code in a satisfactory way, we would be happy to accept a patch !

- Claude

--
Claude Marché                          | tel: +33 1 69 15 66 08
INRIA Saclay - Île-de-France           |